Zachary Deubler, as Carmichael Ellis & Brock, PLLC's Senior Associate Attorney, is a vital part of our Firm's criminal defense litigation group. With extensive trial experience in both federal and state courts, Zachary works tirelessly to achieve the best result possible for his clients. Believing that preparation is critically important in defending a criminal case, Zachary works to lay the groundwork at every stage of litigation to best minimize risk and bring about favorable resolutions for his clients.
Zachary possesses a wealth of legal expertise and has represented individuals accused of international terrorism, hostage-taking, fraud, cyber crimes, drug conspiracies, malicious wounding, murder, sexual assault, and other violent felonies. Besides his work on major felony cases, Zachary has also represented individuals charged with various misdemeanor and traffic offenses, such as domestic assault and battery, reckless driving, driving while intoxicated (DWI), petit larceny, and public intoxication.
Prior to joining Carmichael Ellis & Brock, PLLC, Zachary worked for two well-respected criminal litigation firms, representing clients at both the trial and appellate levels. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree, with honors, and his Juris Doctor from George Mason University. While in law school, Zachary focused his studies on Constitutional, Criminal, and National Security Law, and was awarded the honor of representing his school in national moot court competitions for his recognized skill in oral and appellate advocacy; he also received an award from American Bar Association for his demonstrated skills in legal writing.
Currently, Zachary volunteers at local law schools, judging mock trials and moot court competitions, and mentors law students trying to enter the practice of criminal law. He is a member of several local Bar Associations, including the American Inns of Court and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Zachary was recognized by Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America in 2021, 2022, and 2023, and was selected by Super Lawyer as a Rising Star® in 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023.
Zachary is licensed to practice law in both Virginia and Washington D.C. and has been admitted to both the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.
Whether defending clients against national security-related charges or less serious offenses, Zachary is dedicated to providing his client with the best defense possible and is committed to finding innovative solutions and exploring every avenue to resolve cases in his clients' best interests.
- George Mason University School of Law, Juris Doctor
- Honors: Billings, Exum and Frye National Moot Court Board Competition – National Competitor 2015; ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition – National Competitor 2016, Washington Regional Best Brief Award
- Activities: National Security Law Journal, Research Editor; Moot Court Board, National Competitor
- George Mason University, Bachelor of Science, cum laude
- Honors: Dean's List 6 consecutive semesters
- Activities: Member of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternal Organization
- Virginia Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- United States Supreme Court Bar